Monday, January 26, 2009

With a little inspiration from a few buddies of mine, and I must give credit where credit is due; I thought it might be a good idea to start this bad boy up once again.

Firstly I am just going to throw down some of the tunes that have been coercing my ears for some time now. Nothing out of the ordinary just simply some fine tracks to groove to and leave you with a smile in the blood pumper of yours.

Firstly we got a fine track from a soul legend, Bill Withers. His track “Use Me” just drips with passion and insight and is presented in one of the most soulful illustrations I have heard in sometime. I don’t particularly remember how I came across this song but it stuck with hard and has lead me to a new found love for the genre we call Soul. I am not going to say too much about this particular track and just let you enjoy.

Use Me - Bill Withers

Bobby Womack used to play with a group called The Valentinos. The Valentinos produced some great rock n' roll which can be which can be emphases on their track “It’s All Over Now” which had been later covered by the Rolling Stones. The track “Across 110th Street” just reaches into the norms of some northern social issues and does so in such a soulful way. Released in 1972 the title track from the album “Across 110th Street” is just a banger and I hope you all enjoy. To listen to this track with some visual accompaniment check the Tarantino film “Jackie Brown” released 1997 or 98 I believe.

Across 110th Street - Bobby Womack

Last but not least on this soulful installment I would like to draw your attention to a fantastic track I had come across when digging for RJD2 samples. Within the first few seconds you call recall the RJD2 track “2 More Dead” but the original is just a banger and again holds so much substance that one can not help but enjoy this tune. Some criticism surrounding this track often leaves Syl Johnson with a bandwagon status. Tracks release in previous years dealing with social issues much like the of Johnson in this particular song would gain popularity and kick start a new trend in popular music. Regardless of such comments this track is undeniable in its quality and heart.

Concrete Reservation - Syl Johnson

No comments:

Post a Comment