Wednesday, January 28, 2009

My swagger's Mic Jagger!

I don’t want to start today’s post off with a negative vibe but I must express my utter distaste for Girl Talk. The unreserved disgrace of what may be called a “mash-up” remix to which Girl Talk produces lacks any serious substance. Girl Talk’s style of music is for the most part reserved for that silly elitist group of “scenester” or “hipster” to which the most the popular in American Apparel V-Neck colours and knowledge of trashy remixes are of prime monetary scene value to which fashion is the prime culprit rather than taste and essence. Girl Talk in my opinion, throws together a recognizable slashing of dance-able samples in combination with often but not exclusively obscure vocal samples. His beats lack thickness and body in the greatness sense of the phrase, to which thick rimmed sweater vest wearing hipster unreasonably cum over. This rant is inspired by a relatively new track I had come across branded with the Girl Talk seal of artificial stimulation titled “In Step”. The track blatantly disgraces Earth, Wind and Fire, which only fuels my dissatisfaction. I have posted the track so you can listen for yourselves and formulate your own opinion but I most express mine. In addition, I have also posted an Of Montreal remix produced by JB which without a shred of divergence or alteration is far superior. Girl Talks track resonates with the sound of filler from dancemix ’95 with a crooked renaissance of filtered material and jagged transitions. Mock scratching noises, choppy beat switches, and a Nirvana sample (… dear fuck … are you kidding me!) complicate an uncomplicated “mash-up”. There is only one reason for me reluctantly posting this particular track, and that is simply to express complete and utter loathing of this particular DJ and the “mash-up” genre in general. "Feed the Animals" is the perfect titled for this album. Please enjoy the Of Montreal remix and comment with your own remarks.

In Step - Girl Talk

Gallery Piece (JB Remix) - Of Montreal


On the lighter side of things, here is a track from Australia’s own Sam Sparro. A friend of mine had exposed this track to me along with Sparro in general. After a sweet night of the par taking of consumption this track had stuck with me. “Cottonmouth”, has some serious groove to it and some silly lyrics, which I have always been a little weary of but in this case it is quite alright. Quality and parody often do not follow each other, and while Sparro’s track is not first and foremost a parody it does seem to take on that appeal. As mentioned this track has some serious groove to it and will remain a favorite of mine until I find something new. What is more impressive to me anyways is that this track has exposed me to a music scene far from my northern hemisphere home. I love to hear new music that I would not normally hear living in the great white north as I do. As many of you do I am assuming, I often check out song mentioned to me on YouTube for a quick listen. Please do not do this with this particular track, the video is lame and will leave the distaste of parody swirling around. Just have a listen and enjoy the music for what it is, without any visual additives.

Cottonmouth - Sam Sparro


The drab of winter is beginning to affect me … constant snow, slippery sidewalks and the cold! If you are without balance like me, winter can be a tricky time when walking from class to class. Regardless of the lack of Vitamin E (or D which I can never remember) we all need a little brightness is our winter days and what better way to achieve that then with some fresh and funky tunes. This pair of songs here will hopefully brighten up your day and possibly put a like swagger in your step. These two tracks among others have made my personal swagger “Mic Jagger” to which the same degree I wish upon you. Enjoy.

Oh My God (Feat. Lily Allen) - Mark Ronson

Moving In Circles - Nomo

1 comment: